Field Day Rules
to the Field Day site
are looking good for shelters. We expect to pay for all those nice
weather field days of years past this year as the weather is likely to
be at least wet. Severe thunderstorms are also possible so safety will
be emphasized during setup and operation.
Although setup may
be delayed due to weather we probably won't know until the last minute
so don't just assume that we are not doing it. The repeater will be
monitored on Friday and you can check up on the situation there.
need another shelter but we have good leads on a couple of options.
Anthony thinks his van is possible if the tow bar works OK. We won't
know for a couple of days.
Rotor brake delay is installed in the Ham IV rotor control box and works great.
Filing is going to get us a loan of some heavy extension cables that we
can run up to the pavilion for Sunday breakfast (and other purposes).
much new. STILL looking for two more shelters for CW stations.
19-Mar: We're still looking for shelters.
The purchase of the ladder was approved but will wait until after the
20-Feb: Nothing new about station captains.
rules for Field Day 2008 are now published and there are changes in the
bonus point area. New this year is the "education" bonus (which
replaces non-traditional mode demonstrations). This sounds interesting
as we can use it to teach techniques related to ham radio - things like
how to solder a PL-259 or any other such item. There are lots of
opportunities here. Ed, N8EQJ, will not be able to do our satellite
contact this year. Bill, KA8WTK, has not been contacted. We're still
looking for somebody if we can.
More discussion on our
"exclusivity rule". We now have a plan and it will get published in the
next newsletter. Basically we are going to try out a more lenient
policy this year, the details of which will be published in the next
About the generator, Bob, K8RJM, had not yet contacted AJ. The
group has encouraged Bob to do so sooner than later.
AK8B, has prices for ladders - around $75 for a 300 lb. commercial
ladder. It will be brought up at the next meeting for approval.
Art, N8RKA, sent the letter to Stow. No response yet but none really
expected for another month or so.
Bruce, AK8B, WILL get the brake delay kit ordered.
Station captains have been established for the following: 10/15/20/75
SSB - W8EZT, 40 SSB - WA3JAT, 10/15/20/80 CW - unknown (K8ZT?), 40 CW -
N8EW. Jim, WA3JAT, has offered to possibly also captain a VHF station.
The possibility of a GOTA was discussed but we need a station captain.
Also a Digital station was discussed but also would need a station
We need to make sure we take advantage of all the bonus
point opportunities. The Satellite bonus was discussed and we will
approach Bill, KA8WTK, and Ed, N8EQJ about doing it this year.
discussed our "exclusivity rule". This says that if you operate at
another Field Day that you don't at ours. The rules concerning this are
somewhat strict and it would be easy to end up violating them without
even knowing it. For this reason we will keep our rule as is.
Generator was discussed. There are some problems (muffler, stand) and
we suggested that we offer to do some of the repairs if AJ would let us.
Bob, K8RJM, will handle the food and the picnic again this year.
have also decided to look into getting a 6 foot ladder. It turns out
with the tower section (shortened) that we don't really need an 8 foot
one and the 6 foot one we had worked just fine. Bruce, AK8B, will
Art, N8RKA, will handle the Field Day letter to the Stow parks
Bruce, AK8B, will handle getting the brake delay kit for the Ham-IV
rotor controller. This will prevent damage to the rotor.
We will be taking notes and reporting on our activities concerning
Field Day. We haven't been too open in the past with information and
decisions made at the Field Day meetings. It was never our intention to
keep things secret. That changes now and we will be reporting on Field
Day happenings here.